Kanata, Ontario, Canada
The Patent Engineer is responsible for supporting and contributing to the expansion of Conversant’s patent portfolio through Patent Acquisitions. The mandate of this position is to work on patent acquisition activities including patent reviews, claim interpretation, claim chart creation, patent file history/ wrapper analysis and prior-art searches. The ideal candidate will have broad technical expertise in semiconductor technologies and will be knowledgeable in circuits, structures and processes employed in common semiconductor devices like memories, ASICS, DSPs etc.
- Analyzing third-party patents for claim interpretation / construction, infringement, quality of claims, prosecution history / file-wrapper analysis
- Pro-actively mining / searching industry-wide patents that meet given criteria for acquisition purposes
- Developing business-cases for patents / portfolios of interest
- Conducting and managing outsourcing of patent analysis where required
- Analyzing and discussing with third-parties when presented with claim-charts or infringement opinion
- Working with patent agents/attorneys on prosecution of patent applications, pending or new, when required.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering (or equivalent) related to electronics
- Minimum of 6 years related technical work experience with at least 3 years of experience in patent evaluations and/or acquisitions
- Broad technical knowledge and understanding of multiple technologies related to various types of semiconductors.
- Highly analytical aptitude
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a team and individually
- Well-organized with the ability to multi-task several projects
- Registered Patent Agent
- Professional work experience in system design, system-level analysis and teardowns in support of patents.
If you are ready to take on the challenges of this role we need to hear from you.