Kanata, Ontario, Canada
The Patent Engineer is responsible for supporting and contributing to the expansion of Conversant’s patent portfolio through Patent Acquisitions. The mandate of this position is to work on patent acquisition activities including patent reviews, claim interpretation, claim chart creation, patent file history/ wrapper analysis and prior-art searches. The ideal candidate will have broad technical expertise in wired and wireless technologies and a good understanding of the current and emerging communication standards.
- Analyzing third-party patents for claim interpretation / construction, infringement, quality of claims, prosecution history / file-wrapper analysis
- Developing business-cases for portfolios of interest
- Conducting and managing outsourcing of patent validity analysis
- Analyzing and discussing with third-parties when presented with claim-charts and infringement opinion
- Pro-actively mining / searching patents that meet given criteria for acquisition purposes
- Working with patent agents/attorneys on prosecution of patent applications, pending or new, when required.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering (or equivalent) related to electronics and/or communications
- Minimum of 6 years related technical work experience with at least 3 years of experience in patent evaluations and/or acquisitions
- Broad technical knowledge and understanding in multiple technologies/standards like GSM, CDMA, 3G, 4G, LTE, WiMAX, WiFi, Optical Communications, etc.
- Highly analytical aptitude
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a team and individually
- Well-organized with the ability to multi-task several projects
- Registered Patent Agent
- Professional work experience as a communication systems architect, designer, programmer or IP creator.
If you are ready to take on the challenges of this role we need to hear from you.